Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Down in the Chicago Jukes

Recently, I tuned the Les Paul into Open G. Open G is the tuning called "the devil's tuning," which the Delta slide guitarists played on. When Muddy Waters went to Chicago and cranked up the volume on his Fender Telecaster Custom (in open g), everything changed.

Sounds really good thru my Fender Princeton Chorus amp. Nice and distorted. Hound Dog Taylor meets George Thorogood.

I've even been attempting to sing a little. This will take time to develop my voice and confidence. Should I use my normal voice and sound like a Missouri Redneck, or sing a bit deeper and more authentic?

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing some experimentation is in order.

    When considering singers, I'll bring up Jerry Garcia. Jerry didn't have the best vocal skills, but somehow it sounded alright to me.

    Point being, don't lose the sincerity for the sake of style. Find your voice.

    LC

    ReplyDelete