Thursday, February 11, 2010

Good....and Bad

Last night, I played with Ralph, opening for his band, the Brown Dog Blues Band. Eventually, their drummer sat in with us, keeping time. I sort of noticed my hearing going south then and wish I thought harder about it.

Then, Brown Dog's guitarist didn't show up and I was asked to fill in and I did. Volume levels went up. Before long, I simply couldn't hear the keyboards or Ralph's harmonica AT ALL. Ralph's vocals were also barely there. Hearing instructions ast to what key a song (or even WHAT song) were mostly inaudible to me. By the end of the second set, I couldn't even hear myself. Afterwords, I got many compliments on my playing and my tone.

Would have been nice to hear what I sounded like.

Today, my right ear, about 1/2 an inch in (a guess of course) has a dull ache. My hearing in general, is rather wonky.

I'm scared.

I'm getting old.

Unless I figure something out and soon, this could be it.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps an occupational hazard?

    Would earplugs help (the foam type)? Likely that would cut the high end damaging Db's.

    FWIW,

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. earplugs and/or unplugged. both are under consideration

    ReplyDelete