Thursday, July 16, 2009

Another post today

Damn, I can tell how horribly out of shape I am. My weight is the same as 2 years ago, but muscle was obviously replaced with blubber. Ok, I was never a thin waif, let's say more blubber. I rode tonight and was thinking about flahutes, which is a flemmish word, which sort of means "hard man cyclist." Then, almost on cue, it started raining. Not to mention that I just turned to climb up the Fabickberg, the legendary steep and cobblestoned local climb.

Then, my lack of fitness came in.

Even when I was in shape, with gears, the Fabickberg was always a tough climb. Tonight, out of shape and on a fixed gear, it brought me to my aching knees. I made it about half way up, before having to walk the rest. It reminded me of a scene from some Tour of Flanders of long ago, walking up a steep cobbled climb, in cycling shoes, in the rain.

Later, inspired by me (after all children are supposed to idolize their parents), Ben wanted to go for a ride. I had bought him a mint Dyno NFX, circa 1999, at a garage sale. He went for a ride at the street below ours, which is flat. He did better than I thought he would. I had removed the pedal extender blocks and realized that I should raise the seat some for the next ride. Hopefully, before winter, the training wheels can go. But, I'm not going to rush him into anything.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, careful with those knees.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. knees? what knees?

    seriously, i'm riding for health and fitness. i'm not going to do anything that will jeopardize myself in anyway.

    ReplyDelete