Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tour Wrap-up

I am really glad that this year's Tour de France is over. It was a completely lackluster race. Yellow jersey is now a matter of who has the best team time trial squad. All you need to do to win the Tour, is have one better than average climber, who is an alright time trialist, and put him on a team with a bunch of other really good time trialists. Had Saxo Bank had a good team time trial, Schleck would have won the Tour, imho. Sprints. Big deal. Cavendish has a great leadout team. Nobody challenged him or the team. Yet, Thor won the green jersey, which he deserved in spades. Mountains Jersey winner, who cares? Win enough early mountains, rack up points that the good climbers aren't contesting, because they want the stage or the Tour, and you'll win the horrible measle jersey. White jersey was again Schleck. He is going to win several Tours. Lance. Respectable, but then again, if it weren't for the team time trial, he would have been farther down. Cadel who? Sastre is a cry baby. Wiggins, thought he placed high, he NEVER attacked, just rode his bike around France and got a good placing. Again, I'm glad it's over.

Yet, I watched quite a good bit of every stage...

After the final stage today, I went for a ride. A bit over 22 miles. Strong wind, seemingly the whole ride. 178 more miles and I'll have a short brevet distance in. On a positive, I rode strong. Stronger than I figured a schlep like me should, with this stage of fitness. I wore a new jersey today. Wiels beer sponsored a team in the late 1950's and early 1960's. The jersey is theirs, in lovely Moreno wool. The green also matches my bike. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment