Sunday, September 6, 2009

A thing of beauty.

There is a lot of bike riding in St. Louis this weekend. For the pros, the Tour of Missouri starts downtown on Monday. For those that think they are pros, there is the annual Gateway Cup, a series of criterium races. Years ago, I'd do the Gateway Cup races. Now, though I respect those that race, I also think a lot of the attitude that goes with it, is silly off the charts. STLBIKING's message board represents some of this stupidity. Threads complaining about entry fees, racing in the rain...you name it. If you don't like it people, don't do it. It's that simple. But, for many it's not. Egos need to be stroked.

I rode this morning for 25 miles, in mostly rain and wet. Part of my planned route took me from Kirkwood to 21 via the Grant's Trail. Trailnet, or some similar group had a ride going in the other direction. I must have passed 200 riders. Then it dawned on me, what I was really watching.

You see, "racers" make up a very, very tiny part of the area's cyclists. But, they have those big egos and think they are the schiz. These casual riders I saw on this ride, were all smiling, talking to each other and had smiles on their faces. AND, they were RIDING IN THE RAIN!!! Certainly, they showed up, in the rain, paid their entry fee in the rain and started their ride in the rain. I have more respect for these people, including the fatsos on recumbants, than I do for certain racers that complain about non refundable race fees, when the race is held in the rain and they are too, well, "special" to ride in the rain.

I no longer race and am somewhat proud to be a 'regular' cyclist again, riding for fun, pleasure and excersize, without some need to stroke my ego. Again, nothing wrong with those that race, just don't become a tool, is all I'm a sayin'.

Oh, and then there are moments like this, from Friday's Cat 4 race at Lafayette Square...

No comments:

Post a Comment