Friday, November 13, 2009

Kid's Day

If I ride at all today, it won't be until later on, in the evening. Jake doesn't have school today, which means, it's a kid's day!!! Not sure what we'll do while Ben is at school. For that matter, I'm not sure about what we'll do after Ben gets out of school either. Likely, we'll go to Burger King for, what's becoming a weekly event, the special lunch. The BK in Valley Park has a kid's eat free deal, if the parent gets a combo meal. Usually they split a chicken nugget meal and the fries.

I haven't talked about guitar playing in a while...

I've been tuned to Open G mostly lately and working on slide. I'm at a level where I'll say that I've gotten really good. That makes me happy. Yesterday, I got an itch, so I tuned to standard for a while. I really like this old Gibson of mine. Plays great, sounds great. Later on, I tuned to my old favorite, DADGAD. But, I've been in modern pitch (A=440hz) and I chose to lower it to old time pitch of 430. This has the effect of lowering the strings notes just a wee bit. I did this after momemtairlly being in dadgad 440, and I can say that after the change, the tone erupted from the guitar like an asteroid hitting a planet!!! Good stuff. It's been a few weeks since I've been in DADGAD and all the music I play in this tuning is of my own composition. It's like returning home after a long journey. Things are as you left them, but a little strange. Dust off some cobwebs, and you are "in your place."

And now, the master of DADGAD tuning, Frenchman, Pierre Bensusan...



Not sure if that's his song, or a cover, but DAMN!!! The guy is a melodoic genious!!! I wish I had a 1/10th of his tallent. No, I WANT IT ALL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment