Sunday, November 8, 2009

Weekend update.

Some good things happened this weekend. I was able to catch up on some yardwork. I mowed/mulched the leaves in the yard and burned some yard waste. While burning the waste, I drank a beer and played some slide guitar. Over the last few days, I've figured out how to play in different keys, while in open G tuning. Songs I taught myself were a new version of Statesboro Blues, which is in D and Crossroads Blues, which is in A. For Crossroads, I use a capo on the second fret. That old blues guitar of mine really sounds great for the blues. It's almost as if the guitar is holding music from long ago and I'm channeling that energy and letting the music sing again thru me.

I found a praying mantis yesterday at work. I wanted to show it to my sons, but I rode into work. So, I took a chance and put it on my arm and rode home with it. Amazingly, it made it home with me!!! It was sort of funny, it crawled down my arm to my brake lever, then went into the drops and stayed out of the wind. We let it go in the wood pile today, but the little guys were happy to see it and enjoyed checking it out.



I FINALLY took my first long ride on the Alan today. 30 miles in St. Louis County. I started off riding the 141 gauntlet to Big Bend. From there, I went west and rode the new section of road to New Ballwin, where I went left to Keiffer Creek and turned right, following it into Clarkson. From there I turned on Clayton and took a breakfast stop at the Lone Wolf Coffee Company. I hadn't eaten yet, and I planned on stopping there. I had a Blueberry muffin and a cup of Joe.

I also realized what this bike means to me and why I got it. It's very anti-ego, which I'm all about now. I don't need flashy anything. A good friend picked it up today and said "it's heavy." Years ago, this would have been viewed by me as a personal attack. I was a weenie, who was into the latest, greatest, lightweight stuff. But, I said nothing. Sure, I could have. The bike after all has clunky commuter pedals, a Brooks saddle and a Brooks tool bag full of tools. Not to mention a pump, lights and a freshly topped off water bottle. The bike still comes in under 24 pounds. Heck, there are a bunch of new road bikes that with the stuff that's on my bike would weigh more than mine. But, I said nothing and smiled. You see, I don't care. I just want to have an enjoyable bike to ride. One that has a great ride quality, climbs well and is fast. The Alan is all that. I don't need carbon this that and the other, aero wheels, blah blah blah. Not that there is anything wrong with that stuff, or (most) anyone that rides with it. It's just not for me. I'm about simplicity and lack of ego. My friend did compliment on the fact that it's a nice looking bike, which it is. I got another compliment yesterday at the shop about it, from Tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment