Friday, August 7, 2009

A day off

In more ways than one, yesterday was a day off for me. I was off from work and I didn't ride either.

I stayed home with the boys and played guitar and surfed the net. Yes, I played with them as well. Normally on Thursdays (my normal day off), I go for a 15-20 mile ride when Amy gets home. She had a doctor's appointment, so I gave myself the choice of, after she got home, either going for a ride, or fishing with Ben. Since she brought home pizza for dinner, it sealed the deal, fishing. We went to our normal fishing hole at Fabick Conservation area and tried out the frogs I bought Monday at Bass Pro. Despite having a few strong strikes, I didn't catch anything, nor did Ben. In fact, nobody at the lake caught anything from what I saw (there were 5 or 6 others there). Just one of those days. But as the saying goes, a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.

Hmm...whoever started that saying, must not have worked in a bike shop. I really love what I do. Even working on some trashed out Magna, with completely waisted cables, that the owner won't let you replace, despite their wanting it better than new, is a good thing. The only thing that hacks me off in the bike world is 15 minutes to closing, some 'racer' comes in needing some repair, that will take longer than 15 minutes. It's always for "the big race" the next morning and they always have some excuse about why they couldn't make it in earlier.

Usually goes like, "I went to a barbecue today and had a wonderful time and just couldn't take myself away from it to get in earlier. Besides, the repair should only take you 5 minutes."

"But you have 4 broken spokes and you really need new cables and brake pads."

"You mean you want me to leave it? I have the big race tomorrow!"

"You could have brought it in earlier."

"But I was having fun! Can't you stay open longer and take time out of your personal life to work on my bike for me? I know you probally have plans with your family that are really important to you, but I've been training and reaching a "peak" for this race. Certainly you can see why I am more important than you."

"Actually, I do have plans. It's my son's birthday and my house will be full of people for his party, starting anytime now. I am needed there, so I can barbecue for them and get everything ready."

"But, what about ME and MY RACE?"

Not that this exact conversation has happened to me, but similar conversations have. I know it happens at all shops that cater to the racer crowd. I am really glad I am now at a shop that caters to recreation and enthusiasts!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment