Thursday, August 27, 2009

The 'Oo

The Who are about my favorite band ever. God I loved these guys. I've been listening to Pete Townsend solo lately. His music is different from that of The Who. More reflective, more personal. I was fortunate enough to see them several times. 1980 and 82 at the Arena/Checkerdome and 89 at Busch Stadium. The 89 show was a total suprise and shock for me. At first, I wasn't going, nor had any intention of going. I was an all out hippie Dead Head, with a drug habit to match. Eric's brother Pat and his girlfriend broke up the day of the show and offered us their 10th row floor tickets. Heck yeah, we'll take them, espicially, since he gave them to us for free. Why not go? At least it would be some good free entertainment.

On this tour, Pete, Roger and John were joined by Pete's solo touring band, which had a horn section, two drummers, a percussion section, backup girl singers and another guitarist.

What followed was one of the most Amazing Journies (pun intended) I took in concert. I can't remember what all I consumed for the show, but it certainly was hard and a lot, considering my problems back then. They opened with the entire first side of the Tommy album, then a 'greatest hits' of the rest of Tommy. ALL the classic songs you could ever want from the rest of their career were also played. They played for around THREE AND A HALF HOURS! This was a way longer show than I expected from them. I think both of the previous shows combined may have been 3.5 hours long!!! Also, Pete's solo carrer was touched on. I about flipped out when they went into this totally rocking "Rough Boys." "Face to Face" and "Let my Love Open the Door" were also played.

From a London show of the same year. A lot more subduded than the Busch Stadium show, which was an all out rock and roll extravaganza. Maybe it had to do with being in a small theatre in London, verses a huge stadium and 80,000 people. Maybe it was that I was maybe 25 feet away out of my mind, but this ROCKED!!!!!



I remember the floor of the stadium was completely shaking, due to everyone dancing. They had plywood laid down over the grass, covered in a tarp. I guess this made a sort of springboard. I remember dancing like a maniac with some girl who had a seat near us in the aisle. Well, I was a fueled maniac at the time.

God bless Pete and The 'Oo!!!! Thank you for one of my most memorable concert experiences. Rough Boys is a song that whenever I hear it, gets CRANKED!!!! Ben sits in the back of the car and thrashes his head to it as well!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment