Monday, August 31, 2009

Jorma Kaukonen

Jorma Kaukonen is THE main reason I got into acoustic blues. No and's if's or but's about it.

I was a huge fan of the Jefferson Airplane during elementary and junior high school. Mostly due to Jorma's lead guitar. I think, out of all the great guitarists that the 60's produced, Jorma's tone was the best. He is so under-rated, I could cry. When I discovered his band Hot Tuna, with the Airplane's Jack Cassidy on bass, I pretty much forgot about JA. Tuna could rock with the best, with long jams. But, their acoustic material is what turned me onto the blues. Jorma learned guitar from the Rev. Gary Davis, one of the best ever Piedmont Style blues guitarists. But, combined with his love for Robert Johnson and simply all manner of guitar playing, Jorma developed his own style. He is great.

Here is some acoustic instrumental blues.



Here is one of his compostiions from the early 1970's (video from around 1990), "Genesis."



Oh, I also love Jorma's voice. Great singer. Simply an awesome talent!!!

Not bad for a guy from Finland, that became a hippy!!!

4 comments:

  1. I've got the Hesitation Blues.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think my all time fav jorma lyric (not song) was from "whinin' boy blues." "yeah, i fucked that gal, fucked her cross a stump." jorma has superb delivery with lyrics. from whinin' it wasn't just what he said, but how it was said. i've seen jorma/hot tuna in various forms around 20 times. each time was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother does some occassional teaching at Jorma's rock camp in southern Ohio. He's played with him and says he's a really nice guy.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  4. really? cool! fur peace ranch, it's called. i always wanted to take a guitar vacation/seminar there.

    ReplyDelete