Sunday, August 9, 2009

Katy did me alright!

So, I rode the Katy Trail today. Thanks to Craig Farrel for the spot on directions there, from Creve Coeur Lake's Boathouse resturant. I got up early and set off. My first impression of the newly reconstructed area of Creve Coeur Lake was one of disbelief!!! Originally, I was opposed to the Page Avenue extention as it likely was going to destroy the lake, park and surrounding area. Not so! I was really impressed with the beauty of the area and seemingly endless bike/multiuse paths. Also, the bridge over the Missouri River has a safe area to cross, seperate from cars. Once on the other side, there is a hill that leads down some switchbacks to the Katy. Honestly, I was a little worried about the hill on the way back, given my gearing. I then proceded to ride a little past Weldon Springs, where I turned around. My plan for today was 60 kilometers (37.xx miles). I ate a quick jelly sandwich, since I hadn't eaten yet and knew I needed fuel. On the way back I rode over a 4 foot black snake, sorry, I didn't see you, as I was checking out the view of the river. I also had to slow down for a deer, that wouldn't get out of the way! Guess it was used to people. Then, there was the hill. My worries were unnecessary, as it wasn't bad. I stood twice, mainly to keep my momentum at the same rate. Then back to the car.

I saw well over 100 cyclists today, easy. I saw Jim Varney and his sidekick Dennis. I was a bit shocked at him riding on the Katy with his Pinarello Prince. Actually, I'm shocked anyone takes high end road bikes on it at all and I saw many on it today. The dust destroys cables, shifters and derailleurs.

My bike did well. The tires gave me cushion over the rough bits. The gearing had me steadily rolling along at a pace I could have kept up all day. When I got home, I lightly hosed the frame down and wiped the remaining dust from the frame and wheels. The chain I cleaned. I've seen Katy dust turn to concrete on bikes and destry them. Not my bike!!!!

I see myself doing this more than I though I would have. Perhaps once a month or so. In years past, when I was a 'racer,' I wouldn't be caught dead on the Katy, except for maybe on a cyclocross bike in the winter. Today, I also did another 'racer' sin, I rode with a CamelBak!!!! I'm super glad I had it. It was stupid hot, by the time I started heading back to the car on my return trip. I drank all of it's contents, plus one water bottle.

As for my jersey, yes, it was wool and yes, it kept me suprisingly cool. Wool rules people.

No comments:

Post a Comment